• You MUST read the Babiato Rules before making your first post otherwise you may get permanent warning points or a permanent Ban.

Our resources on Babiato Forum are CLEAN and SAFE. So you can use them for development and testing purposes. If your are on Windows and have an antivirus that alerts you about a possible infection: Know it's a false positive because all scripts are double checked by our experts. We advise you to add Babiato to trusted sites/sources or disable your antivirus momentarily while downloading a resource. "Enjoy your presence on Babiato"

If you are a website design agency owner, how you are getting clients?

I have done with offline ways; learned what they needs, made my demo/portfolio, made everything. I am now trying to promote via google ads. Can you tell me which types of ads I should run. Currently I am thinking of running ads in youtube with targeting audience who has used certain keyword in google like 'ecommerce website design' etc.
It's totally wrong way, you will just wast of money. As I designer/developer I'm facing a lot of ads promoting web design/development so will I be one of their customers? NO. So your ads mostly will displaying to audience like me.
As I said before you need to go with direct customers instead of promoting ads. If you still want to promote your service I'd prefer to get SEM instead of display ads.
Good luck

Reactions: Iron-Man
Hi, it's good that someone ask this question as I've thinking about it too. I myself plan to build my own web design and digital marketing agency, in my opinion I will first start with simple tasks that I know best:
  1. Search google for specific businesses in my area and check their website:
    • If it's Secured with SSL certificate installed.
    • If it's mobile friendly.
    • If web title, meta tag need improvement.
    • If they even have a website!
    • Simple/basic technical SEO check (site speed, mobile friendly, etc).
  2. If I found some potential problems with their website, then I email them. I start to email them on their web contact form or cold call them. I will give then free suggestion to make their website better with reasons why they have to do it ASAP (ask them to talk to their web developer to fix it or to do it themself).
  3. If they response and I'm sure most of them don't bother to do it themself or if they have web developer (which they should do their job properly in the first place) then I will ask them that I can do it for a small fee.
The reason I will start with small fee is to gain/build trust, more clients, good reviews (by asking them with free service for example) and also build my portfolio. That's what I thought 🙂

Reactions: guguk
It's totally wrong way, you will just wast of money. As I designer/developer I'm facing a lot of ads promoting web design/development so will I be one of their customers? NO. So your ads mostly will displaying to audience like me.
As I said before you need to go with direct customers instead of promoting ads. If you still want to promote your service I'd prefer to get SEM instead of display ads.
Good luck
Hmm, you are right regarding showing ads to wrong person. But I guess this will bound to happen in any marketing efforts (Showing ads to wrong person). I have tried google search engine ads & found less success. Most person who clicked in my ads were just inquiring & not hot customers. And this is costly too. So I am trying to show youtube ads this time as this is cheaper. I am just testing to see what happen. may be I am right or wrong, but only be verified after testing. My plan is to show ads with specific keywords + in some channel's specific videos. I will also use some negative keywords & other things to not show ads to wrong person. But as usual this can not be avoided.

Also if you have tried youtube ads & found no result. Or if you have tried search engine ads & got success; I will gladly follow your advice.

Hi, it's good that someone ask this question as I've thinking about it too. I myself plan to build my own web design and digital marketing agency, in my opinion I will first start with simple tasks that I know best:
  2. If I found some potential problems with their website, then I email them. I start to email them on their web contact form or cold call them. I will give then free suggestion to make their website better with reasons why they have to do it ASAP (ask them to talk to their web developer to fix it or to do it themself).
  3. If they response and I'm sure most of them don't bother to do it themself or if they have web developer (which they should do their job properly in the first place) then I will ask them that I can do it for a small fee.
The reason I will start with small fee is to gain/build trust, more clients, good reviews (by asking them with free service for example) and also build my portfolio. That's what I thought 🙂
This way most logical way which I was started like that. Most people stand out against "ads" but if you close to customer "friendly" they will more trust you rather than your ads campaign/landing page.

Just I can add 4th item to the list that "Follow-up". It's important because they receving a lot of spam mails similar with yours. So you should find and follow on linkedin business owner and directly message them.

Reactions: ZenitO
This did not worked in India country. May worked with other countries. Source: Myself tried + I have talked with many old & big web development company. I guess currently any cold way of approaching client will create instant buyer's resistance, plus no follow up works here. Until a client is warm & ready to buy or improve his website; that's the best time to contact them.

This did not worked in India country. May worked with other countries. Source: Myself tried + I have talked with many old & big web development company. I guess currently any cold way of approaching client will create instant buyer's resistance, plus no follow up works here. Until a client is warm & ready to buy or improve his website; that's the best time to contact them.
Yeah could be true because the culture directly effecting people's purchase behaviours. But I believe that this method "more logical" one, may you change strategy because you have told "old & big development company" but may you have just need small companies (not development business). If you apply this method to development company you they will just ignore you until you have find a big bug (probably they dont contact you even for saying "thank you" ).

Yeah could be true because the culture directly effecting people's purchase behaviours. But I believe that this method "more logical" one, may you change strategy because you have told "old & big development company" but may you have just need small companies (not development business). If you apply this method to development company you they will just ignore you until you have find a big bug (probably they dont contact you even for saying "thank you" ).
Hi, i guess you have misunderstood my msg; or may be i have written wrong. What i mean is that i have talked with some old web design agency owner in India and they said they too tried similar cold contact methods and got failures.

Hi, i guess you have misunderstood my msg; or be i have written wrong. What i mean is that i have talked with some old web design agency owner in India and they said they too tried similar cold contact methods and got failures.
Ah I misunderstood sorry.

Ah I misunderstood sorry.
Its fine bro. At least you are trying to give your logical opinion ☺️. I have tried almost all methods, but unsatisfied. So this time trying to do some bold approach by advertising. But as a test 1st with small budget.

I don't like this and many of my clients don't like this either. If it works for you then great, but IMO this is borderline spamming (if it isn't already).

1. Networking: Attend industry events, join local business groups, and connect with other professionals in your field. This can help you meet potential clients and make connections that can lead to new business opportunities.
  2. Marketing: Use a variety of marketing channels, such as social media, email marketing, and content marketing, to promote your agency and its services.
  3. Referrals: Ask your current clients for referrals and be sure to provide excellent service so that they are happy to recommend you to others.

I don't like this and many of my clients don't like this either. If it works for you then great, but IMO this is borderline spamming (if it isn't already).
Okay, it's good to have others opinion as well. Can you elaborate more why those methods are spamming?
And why many of your clients don't like them?
Most importantly, what methods do you use to get them (your clients after they dislike that method)?
Thanks.

1) You should have worked for a digital agency before creating yours. There's no better education than getting into what you want to do yourself. Ah, and being paid for it is a nice bonus.

2) Personally, I don't believe much in the cold calling and cold mail option.
That's because you'll hardly get to the decision-maker, and even if you reach him/her, you'll probably be ignored.
Personally, I receive a lot of cold emails on a site of mine with tactics like someone has posted here (some problem on the site), and I just ignore.

Now, solutions.

1) You could hire someone to go personally sell your services and pay them a good commission. If you can get someone with good sales skills, you can even raise your prices a bit to make up for this expense.

2) Use a site like Upwork to get your first clients and build a portfolio. If you do a good job you can even get long-term clients there.

3) You're a Digital Agency, getting clients for your clients is your job, but you can't even get clients for yourself?

Good luck.

Okay, it's good to have others opinion as well. Can you elaborate more why those methods are spamming?
And why many of your clients don't like them?

Because those emails are unsolicited. One could argue that this method is really just trying to sell something in the guise of being a "concerned citizen."

I find it fascinating when a spammer sends an email to a client saying "we found a problem with your share button / order form / SEO / whatever" ... and the funniest part? The site in question doesn't even have an order form lol.

Because those emails are unsolicited. One could argue that this method is really just trying to sell something in the guise of being a "concerned citizen."

I find it fascinating when a spammer sends an email to a client saying "we found a problem with your share button / order form / SEO / whatever" ... and the funniest part? The site in question doesn't even have an order form lol.
That makes sense, I don't just email 'potential clients' without first observing it (checking their website), otherwise it'll be so obvious as you mentioned above. Thanks for your reply (y) 🙏

That makes sense, I don't just email 'potential clients' without first observing it (checking their website), otherwise it'll be so obvious as you mentioned above. Thanks for your reply (y) 🙏
Did you get any response from this email marketing?

1) You should have worked for a digital agency before creating yours. There's no better education than getting into what you want to do yourself. Ah, and being paid for it is a nice bonus.

2) Personally, I don't believe much in the cold calling and cold mail option.
That's because you'll hardly get to the decision-maker, and even if you reach him/her, you'll probably be ignored.
Personally, I receive a lot of cold emails on a site of mine with tactics like someone has posted here (some problem on the site), and I just ignore.

Now, solutions.

1) You could hire someone to go personally sell your services and pay them a good commission. If you can get someone with good sales skills, you can even raise your prices a bit to make up for this expense.

2) Use a site like Upwork to get your first clients and build a portfolio. If you do a good job you can even get long-term clients there.

3) You're a Digital Agency, getting clients for your clients is your job, but you can't even get clients for yourself?

Good luck.
I agree with you. But regarding point 3; it is easy to get b2c clients/customers; but difficult for b2b client. Now shopify type big company is struggling to get new clients that they are openly advertising their affiliate types program so that others can give them some clients😂. I hope you have seen such ads.

This is a great thread, I am enjoying reading the insights of experienced design business owners. I can feel for OP as he is saying it’s hard to get good local clients in India and he is 100% correct. I have been there and none of the agencies survive as far as I know without getting international clients. Strategies you find in most cases used in us uk countries are not applicable here. Here clients will haggle for prices like anything and will expect a lot from you in return. I would to know more if someone has more ideas or strategies that can be used here. Thanks.

Now shopify type big company is struggling to get new clients that they are openly advertising their affiliate types program so that others can give them some clients😂. I hope you have seen such ads.

On a tangent, I dislike how dull and "centralized" (if you will) many things are these days. Want to do ecommerce? Sign up for Shopify. Want a business card kind of site? Make one with Wix/Squarespace. There is almost no variety, everything looks pretty much the same. I mean, most times, not even a second in and you'd know for sure that an online store is a Shopify site.

Here clients will haggle for prices like anything and will expect a lot from you in return.

I guess this is a culture thing? I feel that this is much more common in developing countries.

Reactions: privman and p.m.d
Did you get any response from this email marketing?
No, I haven't tried it yet. As I mentioned on my first post that I also have a plan t build a web design business and I'll use those methods for start. I even think to give a free service (small task only) to the potential clients just to get more trusts from them.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

However in order to keep our huge array of resources free of charge we need to generate income from ads so to use the site you will need to turn off your adblocker.

If you'd like to have an ad free experience you can become a Babiato Lover by donating as little as $5 per month. Click on the Donate menu tab for more info.

I've Disabled AdBlock