• You MUST read the Babiato Rules before making your first post otherwise you may get permanent warning points or a permanent Ban.

Our resources on Babiato Forum are CLEAN and SAFE. So you can use them for development and testing purposes. If your are on Windows and have an antivirus that alerts you about a possible infection: Know it's a false positive because all scripts are double checked by our experts. We advise you to add Babiato to trusted sites/sources or disable your antivirus momentarily while downloading a resource. "Enjoy your presence on Babiato"

[Questions] Esports Website WordPress or headless with plans for an App

ktwo

Jul 31, 2022
Hello Everyone,
I have some questions regarding a website i am working on which will be mainly about Esports and Gaming. The website will have an App on android and Iphone as well as some dynamic parts. so i was thinking about the best way to make it. I am not really a full fletched dev but i am well informed and have background in UI/UX as my main job is Design as an Art Director.
so the questions are :

1. should i Make the website in WordPress CMS or go the new way of Headless CMS such as Next and Nuxt and Gatsby
    as i read that Headless is the way to go when it comes to scalability.

2. netlify or contentful as the CMS? I want something that's not expensive with prices similar to normal hosting

3. I want to make an app out of it so i've read that going a headless cms that's based on Reactive such as Gatsby or Vue will make the conversion a lot easier

4. I want the website to have match/round results something like this which i know is possible by API but is there some app or plugin that can make api into a design like this or it have to be coded fully? Upcomer-Your-guide-to-everything-esports-and-all-that-it-implies.png
Thanks for taking time to reading my questions and thank you even more for this community of great helping people. have a nice one everyone!

Hello Everyone,
I have some questions regarding a website i am working on which will be mainly about Esports and Gaming. The website will have an App on android and Iphone as well as some dynamic parts. so i was thinking about the best way to make it. I am not really a full fletched dev but i am well informed and have background in UI/UX as my main job is Design as an Art Director.
so the questions are :

1. should i Make the website in WordPress CMS or go the new way of Headless CMS such as Next and Nuxt and Gatsby
    as i read that Headless is the way to go when it comes to scalability.

2. netlify or contentful as the CMS? I want something that's not expensive with prices similar to normal hosting

3. I want to make an app out of it so i've read that going a headless cms that's based on Reactive such as Gatsby or Vue will make the conversion a lot easier

4. I want the website to have match/round results something like this which i know is possible by API but is there some app or plugin that can make api into a design like this or it have to be coded fully? Upcomer-Your-guide-to-everything-esports-and-all-that-it-implies.png
Thanks for taking time to reading my questions and thank you even more for this community of great helping people. have a nice one everyone!
These questions are asked by many and unfortunately there is no clear answer. One should compare benefit and effort.

You should not waste any more thoughts on "WordPress". :) It still works and you have good support. But if someone really wants to scale, it is not a good choice.

The partly new frameworks like "Angular, React, Vue and Svelte" are gaining more and more importance. They only render changed content and not whole pages. But with these innovations come hidden things, like the backend. So you deal with the frontend and the backend. Then you have to manage that as well. Quickly you are a "MERN stack programmer". With that you can do a lot technically, but nothing really well. I speak from my own experience here. Especially in the frontend area the development is very fast.

To start with, I would first concentrate on the functionality of API. For this you can use an open-source headless CMS like "Strapi" or "Directus". This has RESTful and/or GraphQL and you can host it yourself. There you can build your API exactly for your match/round results. You don't really need an additional app for that, as it's easy to use and it resembles forms.

Otherwise I found "Netlify" somehow more pleasant than "Contentful". But I found "Sanity" or "HyGraph" even better. :)

Reactions: Maerloa
These questions are asked by many and unfortunately there is no clear answer. One should compare benefit and effort.

You should not waste any more thoughts on "WordPress". :) It still works and you have good support. But if someone really wants to scale, it is not a good choice.

The partly new frameworks like "Angular, React, Vue and Svelte" are gaining more and more importance. They only render changed content and not whole pages. But with these innovations come hidden things, like the backend. So you deal with the frontend and the backend. Then you have to manage that as well. Quickly you are a "MERN stack programmer". With that you can do a lot technically, but nothing really well. I speak from my own experience here. Especially in the frontend area the development is very fast.

To start with, I would first concentrate on the functionality of API. For this you can use an open-source headless CMS like "Strapi" or "Directus". This has RESTful and/or GraphQL and you can host it yourself. There you can build your API exactly for your match/round results. You don't really need an additional app for that, as it's easy to use and it resembles forms.

Otherwise I found "Netlify" somehow more pleasant than "Contentful". But I found "Sanity" or "HyGraph" even better. :)
Much thanks for the reply, Yes i've heard about these and also about the "scalability" issues. so i thought instead of making the website up and running and in future i'll need to change it again so i might do it the right way from the start.
at the moment i am focusing on 2 things:
1- to make the API so i am researching and studying how to make that one. as that's the top priority for me
2- i am also researching these Headless or jamstack tech and trying to find the safest one that would make creating a mobile app easier in the future.
the problem is i am working solo on this with limited time and 0 budget unfortunately

Much thanks for the reply, Yes i've heard about these and also about the "scalability" issues. so i thought instead of making the website up and running and in future i'll need to change it again so i might do it the right way from the start.
at the moment i am focusing on 2 things:
1- to make the API so i am researching and studying how to make that one. as that's the top priority for me
2- i am also researching these Headless or jamstack tech and trying to find the safest one that would make creating a mobile app easier in the future.
the problem is i am working solo on this with limited time and 0 budget unfortunately
The approach you are taking is the right one. Structure plays an essential role. Think about what should come into play?

Backend:
"Nodejs", "Laravel" or "Spring"?

Frontend:
"Angular", "React", "Vue", "Svelte"?
*Further, I use the frontend tool "Vite" for faster editing.

API: (good tools)
"Swagger", "Postman", "Paw" or "Thunder Client" in Visual Studio code.

Headless CMS: (good tools)
"Strapi", "Directus", "HyGraph", "Netlify".

Database:
"MySQL", "MongoDB"

From this I would build a structure and look for specific solutions. Especially in the frontend there are a lot of updates. Don't let yourself be unsettled.

I can help you from time to time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mark Sallyvan
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

However in order to keep our huge array of resources free of charge we need to generate income from ads so to use the site you will need to turn off your adblocker.

If you'd like to have an ad free experience you can become a Babiato Lover by donating as little as $5 per month. Click on the Donate menu tab for more info.

I've Disabled AdBlock