• You MUST read the Babiato Rules before making your first post otherwise you may get permanent warning points or a permanent Ban.

Our resources on Babiato Forum are CLEAN and SAFE. So you can use them for development and testing purposes. If your are on Windows and have an antivirus that alerts you about a possible infection: Know it's a false positive because all scripts are double checked by our experts. We advise you to add Babiato to trusted sites/sources or disable your antivirus momentarily while downloading a resource. "Enjoy your presence on Babiato"

[QUESTION] Page Speed Reports on Staging Sites

RogerM

Mar 3, 2020
Maracaibo, Venezuela
I am currently on a client´s site working trying to improve its page loading speed and I´ve come to a weird situation (at least for me).

I like working under a staging environment whenever working on page loading speed issues and, when running the staging site URL on tools like GPSI or GTMetrix, I am getting weird scores.

Why is this? Isn´t possible to run staging site´s through these speed tools? Thoughts?

Someone on another forum pointed out that the staging environment doesn´t close exactly the same and to 100% the live site, other mentioned I need to setup the login credentials for the staging site into GTMetrix in order for the tool to audit the site properly but, still, I am getting weird results.

Is there a better way to work on a non-production environment while working on the site and then push the changes to the live site?

Or perhaps I am not setting up the staging plugin properly? (I am using WP Staging Pro)

Thoughts?

PS: I don´t have access to the site´s CPanel

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

a staging environment is actually a must when creating sites for others. There are really many ways to build up one or more staging sites for a project (e.g XAMP, LocalWP, DevKinsta, etc...) but my favorite setup is a cheap VPS on DigitalOcean ($5) or Vultr ($6) and a free domain (ga, tk, etc..) from freenom.com. I prefer Vultr most of the time, because they have best speed and a really low TTFB...

That way i can have a 1to1 mirrored project installation and the only difference between staging- to live-site is the domain name...for instance production site xyz.com and staging site xyz.tk

After clients review, i push the approved changes from the staging to the live site with WPvivid Backup Plugin (free) which has a site automigration feature from one domain to another. No need for CPANEL or other bloatware of that sort.

With the above setup i can also run the GMetrix or PageSpeed Insights tests, finetune the staging sites based on the recommendations i get from GM, and lroll out the configuration to the live site.

Hope this helps a bit,
Regards

Reactions: osvmello
The problem I found with your way is that when working particularly on improving a site´s page loading speed hosting a site locally will dramatically skew the results when testing the changes you do to the site.

The same issue we will face when creating a staging environment or cloning the client´s site on a hosting service that is a more robust and faster hosting alternative (Like Digital Ocean) than the hosting where the site is currently been hosted on by the client.

The problem I found with your way is that when working particularly on improving a site´s page loading speed hosting a site locally will dramatically skew the results when testing the changes you do to the site.

The same issue we will face when creating a staging environment or cloning the client´s site on a hosting service that is a more robust and faster hosting alternative (Like Digital Ocean) than the hosting where the site is currently been hosted on by the client.
Yes indeed. It happens sometimes that the client asks me why the staging site is so much faster than his chosen hosting service. The answer is usually because they choose the cheapest WP hosting they can find.
Then again some choose to upgrade the hosting plan, others switch to a VPS and others continue with cheap over performance.

Regards,
CB

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

However in order to keep our huge array of resources free of charge we need to generate income from ads so to use the site you will need to turn off your adblocker.

If you'd like to have an ad free experience you can become a Babiato Lover by donating as little as $5 per month. Click on the Donate menu tab for more info.

I've Disabled AdBlock