• You MUST read the Babiato Rules before making your first post otherwise you may get permanent warning points or a permanent Ban.

Our resources on Babiato Forum are CLEAN and SAFE. So you can use them for development and testing purposes. If your are on Windows and have an antivirus that alerts you about a possible infection: Know it's a false positive because all scripts are double checked by our experts. We advise you to add Babiato to trusted sites/sources or disable your antivirus momentarily while downloading a resource. "Enjoy your presence on Babiato"

Little help for WP Ultimo

smartass

Babiato Lover
Trusted Uploader
May 5, 2019
Hi :) I need a little help for WP Ultimo.

1st: Does anybody knows why "Custom Domain" step doesn't show here: https://easysite.bg/register like here: https://demo.wpultimo.com/register ? I've done all setups and configurations about Domain Mapping but still the step doesn't show. Any ideas?

2nd: Can you suggest me a low price wildcard SSL certificate, because for subdomains I need a wildcard SSL.

Thank you :)

I have set that up, it is fully functional, you can use Lets Encrypt free for the wildcards as far as I remember. Under ultimo settings I believe under Network settings you need to specify whether the customers have option to use
Enable Domain Selection on the Sign-up
If you want your users to be able to select between multiple domains, check this option.
You also need to give appropriate plans the custom domain option. If you have chosen subdir method for the multisite then domains will be created as domain.com/subdir. If they have the oprion for a custom domain they can also add it under aliases. Or if you have chosen subdomain method for the multisite then it will be created as *.domain.com
I hope that clears your question, by the way you can always ask for help to Arindo and Ruel from their website chat support. They are good at responding to requests even if you are not registered and this might be a pre-sales question.

This option that you mention is about the main domain, not about custom domains. If you ckeck it, then you can add multiple domains like domain1.com, domain2.com, domain3.com and when a customer is registering, he can choose between those domains to be main domain for his subdomain. See the screenshot: https://prnt.sc/rec74q .

I setup my wp ultimo to use subdomains (*.domain.com ) and that's why I'm looking for a wildcard SSL.

:unsure:

This option that you mention is about the main domain, not about custom domains. If you ckeck it, then you can add multiple domains like domain1.com, domain2.com, domain3.com and when a customer is registering, he can choose between those domains to be main domain for his subdomain. See the screenshot: https://prnt.sc/rec74q .

I setup my wp ultimo to use subdomains (*.domain.com ) and that's why I'm looking for a wildcard SSL.

Custom domains need to be enabled per plan basis asides from ultimo settings, have you done that already? @singerjon is the ultimo expert on the topic if he cares to enlighten.

Enable Custom DomainsEnable Custom Domains
Do you want to enable custom domains for your clients?

Wildcard SSL
Does Let’s Encrypt issue wildcard certificates?

Yes. Wildcard issuance must be done via ACMEv2 using the DNS-01 challenge. See this post for more technical information.

More detailed process here https://medium.com/@saurabh6790/gen...icate-using-lets-encrypt-certbot-273e432794d7

Last edited:
Reactions: unicorn

Wildcard works fine with subdomains (*.domain.com) - (letsencrypt). Did you choose "yes" to ALL of the options in the mapping section?

I've enabled custom domains in settings and in plans. Here are screenshots of WP Ultimo General, Network Settings, Domain Mapping and a Plan pages:

Attachments

• wp-ultimo-plan.jpg
    wp-ultimo-plan.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 40
  • wp-ultimo-settings-domain-mapping.jpg
    wp-ultimo-settings-domain-mapping.jpg
    528.9 KB · Views: 41
  • wp-ultimo-settings-general.jpg
    wp-ultimo-settings-general.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 36
  • wp-ultimo-settings-network.jpg
    wp-ultimo-settings-network.jpg
    927 KB · Views: 37
I've enabled custom domains in settings and in plans. Here are screenshots of WP Ultimo General, Network Settings, Domain Mapping and a Plan pages:
I will look shortly - right in the middle of something. I worked with it a bit. I'll get back soon as soon as possible and possibly share some insight.

Reactions: smartass
I have a feeling, domain registration plugin (using OpenSRS) from ultimo plugins needs to be activated, and you may need to setup an account with OpenSRS for this to function properly. Just a hunch.

Reactions: IfIWereRich
I have a feeling, domain registration plugin (using OpenSRS) from ultimo plugins needs to be activated, and you may need to setup an account with OpenSRS for this to function properly. Just a hunch.
@ckeeper isn't that just for domain purchase? (which isn't required). When I tried it out, I attached my reseller API - (for domains) and it functioned - in theory anyway. I am almost done and going to take a peek at it. No promises - but in a clean install the domain mapping did function properly. I was trying to make it do some heroics which I haven't yet figured out and needed to move on for now. :cry: But, as a result I got a little chummy with the plugin.

Reactions: ckeeper

I think you are right. I came across a website that uses WP Ultimo - https://enzaime.com/ . In the registration process, the last step is Custom Domain and there I can search and register a custom domain for my website (see the attachment).

So I think I need to have a registration on OpenSRS to be able to provide custom domains on the registration process. Also, the description of the plugin WP Ultimo: Domain Seller is: "Sell custom domains to your customers right from the registration screen! Supports OpenSRS for now, with more options to come."

Attachments

• enzaime-custom-domain.jpg
    enzaime-custom-domain.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 29
I think you are right. I came across a website that uses WP Ultimo - https://enzaime.com/ . In the registration process, the last step is Custom Domain and there I can search and register a custom domain for my website (see the attachment).

So I think I need to have a registration on OpenSRS to be able to provide custom domains on the registration process. Also, the description of the plugin WP Ultimo: Domain Seller is: "Sell custom domains to your customers right from the registration screen! Supports OpenSRS for now, with more options to come."

Misunderstood your question then. Sure, if you want to sell custom domains, you have to create an account with and use OpenSRS - but to USE custom domains (i.e. your customer has their own domain name already from someplace else - OpenSRS wouldn't have anything to do with that.) It is a tricky one, I will admit.

Well, I am surely not an ultimo expert. However, what I understand from that is that wherever the domain is registered, you'd go in the DNS manager at the registrar (i.e godady) and simply point it to your domain. I haven't checked it, but it would seem that if the domain is purchased during the registration flow it should point already to the desired IP correctly - but maybe they haven't coded it that way yet. I don't know.

Do you have a domain you can use for testing? To point to your IP?

Think about it. What if your customer already has a domain. The customer doesn't have to purchase another one. That is simply the instruction of what they should do - according to my understanding.

Well, I am surely not an ultimo expert. However, what I understand from that is that wherever the domain is registered, you'd go in the DNS manager at the registrar (i.e godady) and simply point it to your domain. I haven't checked it, but it would seem that if the domain is purchased during the registration flow it should point already to the desired IP correctly - but maybe they haven't coded it that way yet. I don't know.

Do you have a domain you can use for testing? To point to your IP?

Think about it. What if your customer already has a domain. The customer doesn't have to purchase another one. That is simply the instruction of what they should do - according to my understanding.
There is an issue when a customer has already owned a domain and dns pointed out to your shared server ip,it will complain about the SSL (Auto SSl seems to work only on few hosting provider) Which means you have to manually add certificates for the domain to the server, I think that might be the reason they use OpenSRS domain registrar and create a new domain with SLL during the setup process. Another issue you are going to have with ultimo in general is bandwidth restrictions, so far only page visit restrictions are in place, unless you come up with a smart bandwidth controlling idea you might have issues with overages.

You have sunrise.php file installed, correct?

My wildcard cert takes care of any (*.mydomain.com) site added to my domain.
When a user purchases from you an "alias" will be created and the ssl will cover if it is correctly mapped, because technically - no matter what - their address is theirsitename.yourdomainname.com. Right?

Obviously it is an ongoing debate, but I always use subdomains for WPMU which I've been using for over 10 years...basically. In a land far far away I used PRO sites (which is where Ultimo is born from). but then,you had to manually map. This should work out of the box. SHOULD. That's what they sell it on.

There is an issue when a customer has already owned a domain and dns pointed out to your shared server ip,it will complain about the SSL (Auto SSl seems to work only on few hosting provider) Which means you have to manually add certificates for the domain to the server, I think that might be the reason they use OpenSRS domain registrar and create a new domain with SLL during the setup process. Another issue you are going to have with ultimo in general is bandwidth restrictions, so far only page visit restrictions are in place, unless you come up with a smart bandwidth controlling idea you might have issues with overages.
Right. Yeah,....and then, there's that.(y) If you need shared hosting unlimited bandwidth let me know.

After enablling WP Ultimo: Domain Seller plugin, it unlocks new settings section in Domain Mapping and SSL page called "Domain Registration Options" (see the attachement). The first two settings are "Domain Registration Options" and "Display Domain Registration Step for all Plans" and after I activate them, the custom domain step appears in the registration process. But yeah, for this I have to have registration in OpenSRS and etc. :)

Attachments

• wp-ultimo-settings-domain-mapping-2.jpg
    wp-ultimo-settings-domain-mapping-2.jpg
    751.6 KB · Views: 25
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

However in order to keep our huge array of resources free of charge we need to generate income from ads so to use the site you will need to turn off your adblocker.

If you'd like to have an ad free experience you can become a Babiato Lover by donating as little as $5 per month. Click on the Donate menu tab for more info.

I've Disabled AdBlock