• You MUST read the Babiato Rules before making your first post otherwise you may get permanent warning points or a permanent Ban.

Our resources on Babiato Forum are CLEAN and SAFE. So you can use them for development and testing purposes. If your are on Windows and have an antivirus that alerts you about a possible infection: Know it's a false positive because all scripts are double checked by our experts. We advise you to add Babiato to trusted sites/sources or disable your antivirus momentarily while downloading a resource. "Enjoy your presence on Babiato"

Laggy Ubuntu 18.04 VPS Server - need help

Goro88

Jun 24, 2018
Hi,

i had serval Days Problems with my VPS. I checked all config Files with plesk and cant find any issue.
But my Wordpress Pages are very slow.

I deactivated all Plugins, and more, but no luck. VPS is slow.

Can anyone help me to troubleshoot?

Here for example a fresh installed Wordpress with pingdom Test Result:
New Test Site:

I placed htaccess and gzip in php Section but iw was not helping, too. Installed WP Rocket and more.

1622044797098.png

1622044997287.png
1622045028026.png

1622045081975.png
1622045110671.png

My VPS: VPS M SSD from Contabo.com

6 vCPU Cores

16 GB RAM

400 GB SSD

400 Mbit/s Port

Hi,

i had serval Days Problems with my VPS. I checked all config Files with plesk and cant find any issue.

New Test Site:

I placed htaccess and gzip in php Section but iw was not helping, too. Installed WP Rocket and more.

1622044797098.png

1622044997287.png
1622045028026.png

1622045081975.png
1622045110671.png

6 vCPU Cores

16 GB RAM

400 GB SSD

400 Mbit/s Port
I'm not a technical person. The problem might be Contabo. I had the same issue until I changed providers.
Hope someone here can figure it out and give you good advice.

Reactions: Gonzo88
I'm not a technical person. The problem might be Contabo. I had the same issue until I changed providers.
Hope someone here can figure it out and give you good advice.
Hi,

New Test Site:

1622044797098.png

1622044997287.png
1622045028026.png

1622045081975.png
1622045110671.png

6 vCPU Cores

16 GB RAM

400 GB SSD

400 Mbit/s Port
I will add.... I had the same VPS with the same specs from Contabo and had issues with it

I reinstalled the Server with cent OS 8 instead of Plesk 18.04 and now its working good.

If you ever ran into the similar problem, use these commands to check what could be slowing down your server:
in your terminal type:
Code:
this shows the status of web servers like apache/nginx/ and mysql + ...
you can see how much resources they are using and how much of your CPU is being used by each one of them.

Code:
sar -r
this helps you to monitor the amount of RAM being used.
Note that it's always a good idea to enable Error Logs to help you understand the problem.
Best of luck to you

You are not the first who complain about it. From Trustpilot review, some customer also complains about laggy VPS. I mean you get what you paid for. VPS for that price and specs like that isn't quite profitable. Contabo probably the cheapest provider among others. If you want to have a better VPS you should change provider. Try digitalocean ,vultr, or azure they are the most popular and reputable providers.

If you ever ran into the similar problem, use these commands to check what could be slowing down your server:
in your terminal type:
Code:
this shows the status of web servers like apache/nginx/ and mysql + ...
you can see how much resources they are using and how much of your CPU is being used by each one of them.

Code:
sar -r
this helps you to monitor the amount of RAM being used.
Note that it's always a good idea to enable Error Logs to help you understand the problem.
Best of luck to you
today my sites are very slow and runs in timeout. i checked you top entry and it loks:

1622653720131.png

I think mariadb 50-70% of CPU is toooo much for 6 wordpress Sites?

today my sites are very slow and runs in timeout. i checked you top entry and it loks:

1622653720131.png

Do you use default config? Don't use it. You need to adjust some settings for MariaDB. You can search it.

1622653720131.png

For 6 websites, depends on how many cpu cores you have + installed ram.
It's normal to see mysql rise up to 60% usage of cpu but that's just for few seconds. I'm guessing you're using Apache, I don't know what configurations you have for your server block, but I suggest you use nginx or varnish for reverse proxy (only caching)
Also note that control panels such as Cpanel, direct admin and ... use some of your resources as well so you need to have at least 4gb ram.

For 6 websites, depends on how many cpu cores you have + installed ram.
It's normal to see mysql rise up to 60% usage of cpu but that's just for few seconds. I'm guessing you're using Apache, I don't know what configurations you have for your server block, but I suggest you use nginx or varnish for proxy (only caching)
Also note that control panels such as Cpanel, direct admin and ... use some of your resources as well so you need to have at least 4gb ram.
im using nginx. The last time i had problems. Las bottlenec is the mysql i think. But i doenst know why... i tested other vps an there is working all perfect.

i think im go to new provider.

im using nginx. The last time i had problems. Las bottlenec is the mysql i think. But i doenst know why... i tested other vps an there is working all perfect.

i think im go to new provider.
It's always a good idea to use nginx for high traffic websites. Don't forget about memcached for nginx, it really makes a difference.
If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help as long as I'd know about it
Good luck

Hello,

I guess you are using Rehub theme.
I am actualy using the same theme in contabo VPS and if you follow the instruction in the link bellow

URL : how to optimize

I am sure you can get grade A or B depend on your content.
PS: I recommendyou to upgrade your VPS drive to Fast NVMe Storage

Good luck

Reactions: Hell0W0rld
Try Amazon EC2 bro...
+ Network Speed (Contabo Maximum 1 Gbit/s Port, but its Amazon's Minimum speed)
+ Content Delivery

Stop all websites.
Then, try the config in the prints on one website (reboot after save) and let the others off for now.
See how it goes.
If it's ok, do the same for another. And another.

If it still doesn't work, contact Contabo (sh** happens in every provider).

You can test litespeed too meanwhile to see how it goes.

And take a print of the database section on plesk.

Edit. Just saw it now how old this is. Thank you for the dig mate lol.

You using PHP 8 (i don´t know why), yesterday I deleted totally v8. Not 100% work with WP plugins and themes (and all is updated). Website is faster with PHP 7.4 and without Redis (not needed in Plesk, Nginx cache is faster than Redis).

You using PHP 8 (i don´t know why), yesterday I deleted totally v8. Not 100% work with WP plugins and themes (and all is updated). Website is faster with PHP 7.4 and without Redis (not needed in Plesk, Nginx cache is faster than Redis).
PHP 7.4 is no longer supported and is slower than PHP 8.0 and PHP 8.1.

You might want to give this a good read: https://kinsta.com/blog/php-benchmarks/

It's the plugins that you are using that haven't been updated or optimized to utilize PHP 8.x

Last edited:
PHP 7.4 is no longer supported and is slower than PHP 8.0 and PHP 8.1.

You might want to give this a good read: https://kinsta.com/blog/php-benchmarks/

It's the plugins that you are using that haven't been updated or optimized to utilize PHP 8.x
You tested in real world? I think no... In real PHP 7.4 get a little faster than with 8.0.
And when you can´t read "I have updated all plugins". When set 8.0 all seems work fine, but when updating xml feed some images missing, unknown errors... In debug no information... Switch back to 7.4 all works like clock.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

However in order to keep our huge array of resources free of charge we need to generate income from ads so to use the site you will need to turn off your adblocker.

If you'd like to have an ad free experience you can become a Babiato Lover by donating as little as $5 per month. Click on the Donate menu tab for more info.

I've Disabled AdBlock