• You MUST read the Babiato Rules before making your first post otherwise you may get permanent warning points or a permanent Ban.

Our resources on Babiato Forum are CLEAN and SAFE. So you can use them for development and testing purposes. If your are on Windows and have an antivirus that alerts you about a possible infection: Know it's a false positive because all scripts are double checked by our experts. We advise you to add Babiato to trusted sites/sources or disable your antivirus momentarily while downloading a resource. "Enjoy your presence on Babiato"

[Building an E-learning Platform] LearnDash, BuddyBoss, Memberhip or not etc.

nobs

Babiato Lover
Banned User
Jun 26, 2020
Travelling...
Note: this thread has yellow color in its text, so if you are using the light forum theme, change to a black one to be able to read clearly, thanks.

IMPORTANT NOTE
: For those who want lighter use of LearnDash and BuddyBoss, see post 14, I describe a basic config I tested for another smaller e-learning project, and it is really faster and bugs-free.
See November updates down.

Hi all
Because there are many requests and discussions on the LearnDash thread here:

And in the BuddyBoss one too...

I decided to start this thread and dedicate it ONLY to building E-learning platforms with LEARNDASH & BUDDYBOSS.

Notes:
For other LMS, do not post here.. This thread is about e-learning with LearnDash.
This is not a request thread for plugins... There is a section on this forum for that.
I'm not saying LearnDash or BuddyBoss are the best, they are the best for me, for what I need to do, so this post is not about promoting them, do your own tests, researches, etc.
Thanks.

Let's begin:
I said it many times, e-learning platforms can come in many setups & configurations, not all setups works for anyone of us, what works for me, may not work for you...

It all depends if you:
Want to sell the course with membership or not.
Want a social platform with groups and forums etc (Buddyboss).
Want to restrict some section or not.
What membership options do you want, upgrade, downgrade, etc.
What payments do you use.
What emailing system do you use.

To resume it: With membership or with subscription, limitations of what, what payments, groups & forums limitations, profile type upgrade/downgrade, zoom integration, paid membership monthly/yearly, courses paid one time or in few times, both ways... so on, so on.. as you see not just one possibility here.

The possibilities are endless, so here, I'm sharing my personal setup that gives me all the options I wanted in my project.

Of course, you can build a basic LearnDash course site selling courses one by one and that's it, in that case, you don't need many integrated plugins.

In this post I won't talk about the FANCY plugins that don't serve much except slowing down the site, I'm talking about the many addons of Learndash that I personally find useless, they do stuff, yes, but who cares, I don't need that stuff.

Me, I need a fast, straight to the point, functional social e-learning community/platform, and for that, this is my setup.

SEE UPDATES BELOW, THIS CONFIG CHANGED: Learndash + buddyboss + wishList member + woo + woo subscriptions + betterdocs = serious e-learning platform, so I do not need a million extra plugin.

And here is the list of plugins I use: (they are available for download here, do not ask me any):

Plugins:
NOT USED ANYMORE BetterDocs
NOT USED ANY MORE BetterDocs pro < For help & knowledge base.
LearnDash
WishlistMember < I use this because it integrates newsletter systems, BB extra options, protection.
Woocommerce
Wocommerce subscriptions < this because I sell membership monthly, yearly
BuddyCommerce < this show the shop and subscription in members profile
LearnDash Woocommerce integration.
NOT USED ANYMORE Elementor
NOT USED ANYMORE Elementor pro
BuddyPlatform standard, I don't use the pro version, as I don't need Zoom, etc.
LightSpeed cache < Cache speed + images in Webp format.
Bunny CDN < Cache
Advanced no Captcha < For registrations and logins.
Not one plugin more, that's it, why put garbage that slows the site?

Theme:
BuddyBoss theme.
BuddyBoss Child theme

External stuff:
-I use Vimeo Plus to host & secure my videos < Check if it works in your country or target country.
-I use free MailerLite for my newsletter/e-mailing < You must be serious validating your account or they will refuse you
-For web hosting, I use a special WordPress web hosting, it's a kind of shared but with extra power and very fast, enough for the few dozens daily students I have now... Almost all hosting companies have a special WordPress offer, so please, do not ask me, because I use my own hosting since 2006, my own, I will not promote or share it here... Start with basic decent WP hosting then move when you grow.

Notes:
-My setup is a bit complicated, it has hundreds of options here & there, but it answers all the needs I have, each one of you has a special need, so write the options you want before picking the plugins. not all options are needed by everybody.
-As you see, no extra plugins, each picked plugin has one or many specific functions... No fancy, extra plugins here.

I hope this helps, if yes, LIKE MY WORK, and take action on it.

////////////// FINAL UPDATE/////////////////

Because I get asked all the time about my final config... Well, after testing all the plugins for membership and LMS that exist on earth in my Buddyboss community, this is what I settled with:
-Buddy boss theme.
-Buddyboss platform.
-Buddyboss platform pro.
-Wishlist member (gold with its various integrated stuff like Mailerlite, show menu per levels, show design blocks, even buttons per level, etc, no need for extra plugins).
-Woocommerce.
-Woocommer subscription.
-GenerateBlocks.
-GnerateBlocks pro.
-Advanced noCaptcha & invisible Captcha.
-BuddyCommerce (this shows the orders and subscription in the profile)
-Code Snippets (some CSS and PHP for local fonts, bye-bye google fonts).
-LearnDash LMS - Course Grid.
-LearnDash LMS - WooCommerce Integration.
-LiteSpeed Cache.
-A good host, I tested the BETA version for 6 months, with some members on a shared host on Cpanel and things work well, but I may move to a VPS to do an official launch.
That's it.

Now, go build some stuff.
////////////// END OF UPDATE/////////////////
Cheers.
NoBs.

Last edited:
Hi admins, I hope this thread here is ok.
I put it in here because it about webmaster and making money stuff.

Hi all
Because there are many requests and discussions on the LearnDash thread here:

And in the BuddyBoss one too...

I decided to start this thread and dedicate ONLY to building E-learning platforms with LEARNDASH & BUDDYBOSS.

Notes:
For other LMS, do not post here.. This thread is about e-learning with learndash.
This is not a request thread for plugins... There is a section on this forum for that.
I'm not saying LearnDash or BuddyBoss are the best, they are the best for me, for what I need to do, so this post is not about promoting them, do your own tests, researches etc.
Thanks.

Let's begin:
I said it many times, e-learning platforms can come in many setups & configutations, not all setups works for anyone of us, what works for me, may not work for you...

It all depends if you:
Want to see course with membership or not.
Want a social platform with groups and forums etc (Buddyboss).
Want to restrict some section or not.
What membership options you want, upgrade, downgrade etc.
What payments you use.
What emailing system you use.

To resume it: With membership or with subscription, limitations of what, what payments, groups & forums limitations, profile type upgrade/downgrade, zoom integration, paid membership monthly/yearly, courses paid one time or in few times, both ways... so on, so on.. as you see not just one possibility here.

The possibilities are endless, so here, i'm sharing my personal setup that gives me all the options I wanted in my project.

Of course, you can build a basic LearnDash course site selling courses one by one and that's it, in that case you dont need many integrated plugins.

In this post I won't talk about the FANCY plugins that doesn't serve much except slowing down the site, I'm talking about the many addons of Learndash that I personally find useless, they do stuff, yes, but who cares, I don't need that stuff.

Me, I need a fast, straight to the point, functionable social e-learning community/platform, and for that, this is my setup.

Learndash + buddyboss + wishList member + woo + woo subscriptions + betterdocs = serious e-learning platform, so I do not need a million extra plugin.

And here is the list of plugins I use: (they are available for download here, do not ask me any):

Plugins:
BetterDocs
BetterDocs pro < For help & knowledge base.
LearnDash
WishlistMember < I use this because it integrate newsletter systems, BB extra options, protection.
Woocommerce
Wocommerce subscriptions < this because i sell membership monthly, yearly
BuddyCommerce < this show the shop and subscription in members profile
LearnDash Woocommerce integration.
Elementor
Elementor pro
BuddyPlatform standart, I don't use the pro version, as I don't need Zoom etc.
LightSpeed cache < Cache speed + images in Webp format.
Bunny CDN < Cache
Advanced no Captcha < For registrations and logins.
Not one plugin more, that's it, why put garbage that slows the site?

Theme:
BuddyBoss theme.
uddyBoss Child theme

External stuff:
-I use Vimeo Plus to host & secure my videos < Check if it works in your country or target country.
-I use free MailerLite for my newsletter/e-mailing < You must be serious validating your account or they will refuse you
-For web hosting, I use a special WordPress web hosting, it's a kind of shared but with extra power and very fast, enough for the few dozens daily students I have now... Almost all hosting companies have a special WordPress offer, so please, do not ask me, because I use my own hosting since 2006, my own, I will not promote or share it here... Start with basic decent WP hosting then move when you grow.

Notes:
-My setup is a bit complicated, it has hundreds of options here & there, but it answer all the needs I have, each one of you has a special need, so write the options you want before picking the plugins. not all options are needed by everybody.
-As you see, no extra plugins, each picked plugin has one or many specific functions... No fancy, extra plugins here.

I hope this helps, if yes, LIKE MY WORK, and take action on it.
Cheers.
NoBs.
Why would you use all that if you can just use www.moodle.org for free & monthly updated with hundreds of devs?

Just create a landing in wp and connect to the cms open source script in a subdomain. It will save you the headache.

Good day

Well, the thread is about LearnDash & Buddyboss, I do not know much about Moodle.

Does it have all options of LearnDash, BuddyBoss theme and platform, and Wishlist member included for free?
Those 4 combined are hundreds of options to build the perfect platform... Again depends on what one want to do.
The idea here is to get something working at perfection (design included) with 10 or 12 plugins maximum.

From first fast look, Moodle may be suitable for schools and similar, not for something like Udemy or Skillshare.

Tell us more about Moodle!

Ps: I'm posting for others because they asked for help, me I'm ok, my e-learning is up and running smoothly.

Cheers.
NoBs

Can you share link of a site you made in pm? I've set up one with most of your descrpition and i would like to improve it. Thanks

Can you share link of a site you made in pm? I've set up one with most of your descrpition and i would like to improve it. Thanks
Hello friend
Sorry, but I can't share my link (it is a part of a corporate business, so), but I'm here to help you with any question post publicly.
Ps: that's what the thread is about, helping each other and all profit.
Cheer.s
NoBs

Last edited:
I would like to know how do you have configured LightSpeed cache and Bunny CDN. I have also this plugin woocommerce subscription, cartflow, wpfusion, fluentcrm, gamipress, presto player, convertpro and uncanny plugins.

I would like to know how do you have configured LightSpeed cache and Bunny CDN. I have also this plugin woocommerce subscription, cartflow, wpfusion, fluentcrm, gamipress, presto player, convertpro and uncanny plugins.

Hi there,

-Lite speed cache I used the basic config and tested the extra ones until I found the best setup for my hosting and website (each website in the world has its own setup options, depends on what plugins, hosting, theme, java scripts, CSS, images included).

-BunnyCDN there is nothing to config, you install, register, add your link and that's it.

-Woocomerce subscription is good IF YOU ARE SELLING subscriptions, for example, you want users to pay you monthly + you want to use different payment systems that accept the monthly payment.
Note: LearnDash has monthly payment in it, inside the course option, it all depends on how you want to sell your courses (like I said in the first post, first tell us your desired setup, and then we can help more).

-I do not use Cartflow, my setup is 3 membership, free, level 1, level 2, that's it, members pay monthly or yearly, so, no upsells or down sales for me.

-Wpfusion, I don't use it either, never used it, so no idea, but it integrates with Wishlistmember, this in case you want a membership to restrict access to other parts of the site, other than course.

-Fluentcrm never used it, and why you want to use two CRM?

-Gamipress, never used it, but there are videos on YT that explain how to integrate it.
Ps: You know that LearnDash has a course point system included, so why another plugin?

-Presto player, no idea, never used it, I use Vimeo plus for more than 600 videos and it works well.

-Convertpro, never used it, but if you are using Elementor pro, you can build as many popups & banners as you need... ElementorPro connects to emailing, Wishlist member too, so why another plugin?

-Uncanny, I don't use them, they slow my site and I do not need their options, fancy stuff for what?

As written in the first post:
You must write down and imagine what options users need on your site.
There is no need for a million plugins if you have all options in 3 or 4, and that's why I use what I use and it works well for my plan, now, what is your plan?
When you know what exact options you need, the rest can be easy.

Don't forget to show some love.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
NoBs.

Last edited:
Great share brother!

I am curious about this thing:

Is there any way to embed learndash registration form directly on the site's front page. (without any pop up window, like the standart learndash login page)

Thanks in advance

Great share brother!

I am curious about this thing:

Is there any way to embed learndash registration form directly on the site's front page. (without any pop up window, like the standart learndash login page)

Thanks in advance

Hi there

-If you are using BoddyBoss, there is an option to close the whole thing and leave only the pages you want public, basically, people will be redirected to login and registration.
There is a video about that on the official channel.

-For embed and shortcodes, see this:
And this
Or use this
[learndash_login]
Or
Just make the registration page your front page.

Explain what you wanna do exactly,

Hope this helps.
Cheers.

Hi there

-If you are using BoddyBoss, there is an option to close the whole thing and leave only the pages you want public, basically, people will be redirected to login and registration.
There is a video about that on the official channel.

-For embed and shortcodes, see this:
And this
Or use this
[learndash_login]
Or
Just make the registration page your front page.

Explain what you wanna do exactly,

Hope this helps.
Cheers.
Thanks bro,

But the shortcode still doesnt get to one I need till now. Clicking [learndash_login] will open a pop up window.

I am wondering if the form can just be on the page directly. User come to the homepage, the login form can be seen directly.

Like when you access facebook, you just need to fill in username and password from the front page without opening a popup windows.

Thanks bro,

But the shortcode still doesnt get to one I need till now. Clicking [learndash_login] will open a pop up window.

I am wondering if the form can just be on the page directly. User come to the homepage, the login form can be seen directly.

Like when you access facebook, you just need to fill in username and password from the front page without opening a popup windows.
Are you using wishlist members or not? because it does have that.
You still didn't tell me what options you wanted on your site LIKE EXPLAINED IN THE FIRST post.
Bro, I can not help much if you do not say what you want & what PLUGINS you are using.
You are talking about one form (that's easy I think), but what about the whole system?
Is that clear enough?

Hope this helps more.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Nice setup, I've been playing with BB for nearly 2 years to get my right stack, and have basically boiled it down to yours, except I use FluentCRM.

I thought Cartflows would be a cool replacement for ClickFunnels, but it's too clunky & slows down my site, and I'm not sure yet what I want to do to replace it's upsell/downsell/oto functionality, but I'm pretty sure I can find something more lightweight.

For the directory function, I use toolset + Guten blocks - much slicker than any other directory functionality and I have more control over custom post types + how to display it all

Reactions: Pixelate and nobs
Hello friend
Sorry, but I can't share my link (it is a part of a corporate business, so), but I'm here to help you with any question post publicly.
Ps: that's what the thread is about, helping each other and all profit.
Cheer.s
NoBs
As you have mentioned that it is 'Corporate Website', so in that case nothing to say because the choice of client, plays a big role in here. But if that wouldn't be the point, then I would say that what you want to achieve, can be done even with Xenforo. The point is how much complicated you want to make it. If you don't want to integrate video conferencing, then Xenforo will be a great choice because you can achieve all your needs (which you have mentioned) with a much smaller footprint than WordPress plus it has an advantage of being a forum software. With WordPress, you need some more plugins to make a forum inside it.

Please forgive me if I sound like a noob but I have a very clear idea on how to do it because in my forum, I will start a paid course on photography and to do that I will not compromise my forum but will take advantage of it.

Reactions: Pixelate and nobs
Hi @DarKMaSk

Thanks for your input.​

If using Xenforo helps your need go for it, there are many ways to skin a cat (like they say, weird proverb by the way).
Whatever answers the needs/requests is the way to go, and for me I'm happy with what I did, but I do have tiny conflicts between Elementor and Betterdocs (I see that in errors log), so I may ditch Betterdocs or both of them to make it lighter and bugs free.

FOR OTHER MEMBERS:
By the way, for other members out there who want some light use of LearnDash, I've tested a config that seems FASTER and bugs free, but with less ways options, so it it is the basic of the basic.

This is what I tested for another smaller project of mine:
Note: In this small project, I do not need any groups or forum, because the offer is low priced one, yet still in membership, exactly like I described in my MICRO-MEMBERSHIP THREAD here.

Plugins/themes:
BoddyBoss theme
BuddyBoss Platform
BuddyCommerce < this shows up shop and subscriptions in users profiles.
GenerateBlocks
GenerateBlocks Pro < This eliminate the use of Elementor and it is way faster (my site speed went up a lot).
LearnDash LMS
LearnDash LMS - Course Grid
LearnDash LMS - WooCommerce Integration
Nav Menu Roles < this replace Wishlist member to mange the menus for logged-in logged-out users.
WooCommerce
WooCommerce Stripe Gateway
WooCommerce Subscriptions < this handle the subscriptions.
For info LearnDash groups (I renamed them levels and you can too), have an option to protect pages, posts according to levels.

Hope this helps some out there who want a fast light setup.
Cheers.
NoBs

Last edited:
Nice setup, I've been playing with BB for nearly 2 years to get my right stack, and have basically boiled it down to yours, except I use FluentCRM.

I thought Cartflows would be a cool replacement for ClickFunnels, but it's too clunky & slows down my site, and I'm not sure yet what I want to do to replace it's upsell/downsell/oto functionality, but I'm pretty sure I can find something more lightweight.

For the directory function, I use toolset + Guten blocks - much slicker than any other directory functionality and I have more control over custom post types + how to display it all

Hi @angelrose
If you DO NOT have many upsells and downsells, I suggest you build your own funnel pages with any page builder, like you would design any page < This works best for 1 upsell, one downsell I guess.

Cartflows for me is like those many hyped plugins, they are famous, but in reality they just add basic functionalities that anyone with knowledge of funnels can do with 3 regular pages (the old way).

Thanks for the tip on the directory setup, this will help a lot in here.

Cheers.
NoBs.

Why would you use all that if you can just use www.moodle.org for free & monthly updated with hundreds of devs?

Just create a landing in wp and connect to the cms open source script in a subdomain. It will save you the headache.
Have you used BuddyBoss or tested on their sandbox? It's very different from moodle, which is a LMS but not really a social network app. BuddyPress integrates with an LMS, but it's more like Facebook.

IF one wants to only create a school / LMS site, then moodle might be an option, but it's not a Social network option.

Hi @DarKMaSk

Thanks for your input.​

If using Xenforo helps your need go for it, there are many ways to skin a cat (like they say, weird proverb by the way).
Whatever answers the needs/requests is the way to go, and for me I'm happy with what I did, but I do have tiny conflicts between Elementor and Betterdocs (I see that in errors log), so I may ditch Betterdocs or both of them to make it lighter and bugs free.

FOR OTHER MEMBERS:
By the way, for other members out there who want some light use of LearnDash, I've tested a config that seems FASTER and bugs free, but with less ways options, so it it is the basic of the basic.

This is what I tested for another smaller project of mine:
Note: In this small project, I do not need any groups or forum, because the offer is low priced one, yet still in membership, exactly like I described in my MICRO-MEMBERSHIP THREAD here.

Plugins/themes:
BoddyBoss theme
BuddyBoss Platform
BuddyCommerce < this shows up shop and subscriptions in users profiles.
GenerateBlocks
GenerateBlocks Pro < This eliminate the use of Elementor and it is way faster (my site speed went up a lot).
LearnDash LMS
LearnDash LMS - Course Grid
LearnDash LMS - WooCommerce Integration
Nav Menu Roles < this replace Wishlist member to mange the menus for logged-in logged-out users.
WooCommerce
WooCommerce Stripe Gateway
WooCommerce Subscriptions < this handle the subscriptions.
For info LearnDash groups (I renamed them levels and you can too), have an option to protect pages, posts according to levels.

Hope this helps some out there who want a fast light setup.
Cheers.
NoBs
Curious where you're using GenerateBlocks Pro? What pages / sections would you have used Elementor but now use GenerateBlocks Pro?

Have you used another LMS instead of LearnDash? I was considering Lifter with BuddyBoss, because it seems easier to implement. I read somewhere that Lifter ends up being more expensive ( when going that route ) than LearnDash because of add-on costs.

Hi @Pixelate

I'm using GenerateBlocks Pro in a small new project (not the main one) that doesn't need many pages (see my micro membership post in signature) because it is really fast.
I listed the plugins used in this small project in post 14.

Elementor is good, but if you want speed and fewer Javascripts/CSS on your site, GenerateBlocks Pro is the way to go.
If you check the real tests done by many on YT and elsewhere, you will discover that all products from GeneratePress are high quality, clean, and SUPER LIGHT... Really, really light.

For lifter LMS, Last year while trying stuff for my main project, I tested al all LMS on the market, I didn't go with it because like you mentioned all the addons and price tag... And to be honest I do not really remember the details about my tests... As I said in the first post, for me LearnDash and Buddyboss + wishlist member gave me all the options I NEEDED for my very SPECIFIC PROJECT... You, you may find happiness with Lifter... Each project's demands are different, so.

I hope this helps
Cheers.
No Bs

Thank you for the tip, do you think this will work for my online fitness course and how does the member's payment processing work?

@nobs Thank you for sharing, sir. I want to know about your project. Please PM me. I'm looking for LMS that works great with payment gateway. Do you have pricing plan for free member? I will try to register.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

However in order to keep our huge array of resources free of charge we need to generate income from ads so to use the site you will need to turn off your adblocker.

If you'd like to have an ad free experience you can become a Babiato Lover by donating as little as $5 per month. Click on the Donate menu tab for more info.

I've Disabled AdBlock