• You MUST read the Babiato Rules before making your first post otherwise you may get permanent warning points or a permanent Ban.

Our resources on Babiato Forum are CLEAN and SAFE. So you can use them for development and testing purposes. If your are on Windows and have an antivirus that alerts you about a possible infection: Know it's a false positive because all scripts are double checked by our experts. We advise you to add Babiato to trusted sites/sources or disable your antivirus momentarily while downloading a resource. "Enjoy your presence on Babiato"

Best way to track un registered users - technology update

JayBase

Babiato Lover
May 6, 2022
South Africa
Hi community,

Recently I have gotten back into web dev due to necessity. I am an old school web dev learning my way around the WordPress CRM.

I have created an RSVP Event management app using the EventON plug set for our business in leu of launching a new mining machine.
Because I am dealing with a Mining mentality user group I have to keep things as simple as possible.
So there is no WordPress account registration for the users, they receive an invite based of an imported CSV which holds their full name, email, phone number, company and position.
Based on the unique record ID from the MySQL import table, I include the ID in the email invite link.
So when they click it and come to the site to RSVP it pulls the record details in the background and then I use it to populate some of the RSVP form elements (Full name, email, etc)
When they submit the RSVP I would like to track them and their state of RSVP loosely without forcing a WordPress user registration and login.

Because I haven't done web dev in many years, I haven't kept up with current dev trends and methods.
In the past I would use a cookie and session variables to handle this. But since my days of development I have learned that cookie abuse via privacy has forced a lot of companies to by default reject cookie use in the users browser settings. Can you recommend a way around this so that I can keep the simplicity and still track RSVP state without the forced WordPress account registration?

Thanks for your consideration.

Jay

Hi community,

Recently I have gotten back into web dev due to necessity. I am an old school web dev learning my way around the WordPress CRM.

I have created an RSVP Event management app using the EventON plug set for our business in leu of launching a new mining machine.
Because I am dealing with a Mining mentality user group I have to keep things as simple as possible.
So there is no WordPress account registration for the users, they receive an invite based of an imported CSV which holds their full name, email, phone number, company and position.
Based on the unique record ID from the MySQL import table, I include the ID in the email invite link.
So when they click it and come to the site to RSVP it pulls the record details in the background and then I use it to populate some of the RSVP form elements (Full name, email, etc)
When they submit the RSVP I would like to track them and their state of RSVP loosely without forcing a WordPress user registration and login.

Because I haven't done web dev in many years, I haven't kept up with current dev trends and methods.
In the past I would use a cookie and session variables to handle this. But since my days of development I have learned that cookie abuse via privacy has forced a lot of companies to by default reject cookie use in the users browser settings. Can you recommend a way around this so that I can keep the simplicity and still track RSVP state without the forced WordPress account registration?

Thanks for your consideration.

Jay
Currently I can think of these possibilities. Although not all of them are good.

- Fingerprinting
- eTag header
- Authentication Cache
- ID tracking
- Flash cookies
- Mobile Advertiser IDs

I can imagine that "fingerprinting" or the "eTag header" would be the fastest to implement for your project. You should be familiar with REST API, JavaScript and Ajax.

• Love
Reactions: JayBase
@jackdanielz , sweet bud. Thanks for that. I did consider using one of the available add frameworks. I still have the free $200 of adds in my google cloud that I have never used. But then creating adds to simply carry state would be wasteful.

I think the eTag caching will be the safest way to keep track of state. Its very seldom the users in my experience empty their cache after every browsing session. And if any of them do then tuff sh**, miss damn event. lol

That's twice now in the last week you have given me a solution lol. Maybe I should just post my questions directly to you. hahaha

Cheers c(_)`

Reactions: jackdanielz
@jackdanielz , sweet bud. Thanks for that. I did consider using one of the available add frameworks. I still have the free $200 of adds in my google cloud that I have never used. But then creating adds to simply carry state would be wasteful.

I think the eTag caching will be the safest way to keep track of state. Its very seldom the users in my experience empty their cache after every browsing session. And if any of them do then tuff sh**, miss damn event. lol

That's twice now in the last week you have given me a solution lol. Maybe I should just post my questions directly to you. hahaha

Cheers c(_)`
Personally, I would have used the eTag header as well. You only delete the browsing history after a movie for men. :)

Hahaha... feel free to write me.

Cheers

Reactions: JayBase
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

However in order to keep our huge array of resources free of charge we need to generate income from ads so to use the site you will need to turn off your adblocker.

If you'd like to have an ad free experience you can become a Babiato Lover by donating as little as $5 per month. Click on the Donate menu tab for more info.

I've Disabled AdBlock